Legal Director - Orange County Coastkeeper
Location: Costa Mesa
Posted on: November 18, 2023
Legal Director - Orange County Coastkeeper April 7, 2023 Legal
Director Job Announcement About Coastkeeper Orange County
Coastkeeper is a non-profit organization that protects swimmable,
drinkable, fishable water and promotes watershed resilience
throughout our region. For over 20 years, we've had incredible
success with our innovative programs in environmental education,
advocacy, marine restoration, research, and water quality
enforcement. Coastkeeper plays a significant role in developing
local water policy, affecting issues such as water recycling and
industrial stormwater permits. As a member of the California
Coastkeeper Alliance and Waterkeeper Alliance , we also work on
matters impacting the state, the country, and the world. By joining
Coastkeeper, you would become a member of the community's leading
voice on water and coastal issues. About the Role Orange County
Coastkeeper and its associated programs, including Inland Empire
Waterkeeper, are seeking an experienced attorney to direct the
organization's litigation and legal advocacy program. Coastkeeper's
legal team works to protect water resources to ensure they are
swimmable, drinkable, and fishable for present and future
generations through advocacy and environmental litigation. The
legal director will be responsible for directing all legal advocacy
initiatives and litigation - particularly Clean Water Act
enforcement. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the
Executive Director. Responsibilities
- Direct all litigation and environmental enforcement.
- Coordinate litigation with outside counsel, expert consultants,
and pro bono attorneys.
- Litigate Clean Water Act citizen suit matters through all
stages of litigation, including investigation, discovery, trial,
appeal, settlement, and compliance.
- Supervise staff attorneys, legal internship and externship
programs, and all pro bono legal work.
- Develop and manage departmental budget.
- Draft comment letters on permits, policies, and regulations
related to water quality and water supply issues.
- Represent Coastkeeper organizations at administrative agency
- Research and write grants to fund environmental advocacy.
- Provide general in-house counsel, including drafting and
reviewing contracts, reviewing grant contract compliance, assisting
in environmental permitting for in-house restoration projects, and
other corporate matters. Required Qualifications
- California Bar admission.
- Willing to work in Costa Mesa, CA office in person.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant legal experience, including 4 years
of litigation experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience supervising attorneys.
- Must have substantial experience as lead counsel on litigation
- A commitment to public interest work and a passion for
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with
others. Preferred Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in environmental litigation,
permitting, and compliance (Clean Water Act experience
- Working knowledge of California regulatory agencies.
Compensation & Benefits
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and ranges between
$115,000 -$135,000 annually.
- Health and dental insurance are provided at no cost to the
- Coastkeeper provides for 11 paid federal holidays, 6 days of
paid sick leave annually, and paid time off.
- 403(b) retirement plans with employer match available. Equal
Employment Opportunity Coastkeeper is an equal opportunity
employer, highly values diversity, and provides advancement
opportunities to everyone. Employment decisions are based on merit,
qualifications, and ability. How to Apply If you are interested in
and qualified for this position, please send your resume and cover
letter to email@example.com , subject line "YOUR LAST NAME,
Legal Director." If your materials indicate a potential match for
our requirements, we will contact you. Please, no phone calls or
emails to the office regarding this opening. Posting will remain
open until filled.
Keywords: WeAreBarbarian, Costa Mesa , Legal Director - Orange County Coastkeeper, Legal , Costa Mesa, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!