Collector Self Pay I - Business Service-Managed Care (Costa Mesa, CA, US)
Company: Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
Location: Costa Mesa
Posted on: June 12, 2021
- Addresses all incoming inquiries from any customer; patient,
insurance company, Hoag employee, whether by telephone, mail or in
- Documents all activity in the facility's legacy, Patient
- Is familiar with Medicare secondary payer (MSP), Medi-Cal and
other government programs, in order to refer patients for financial
- Is familiar with the facility's charity and payment plan
options, in order to assist the patient without third-party
- Contacts patients regarding self-pay balances on the accounts
receivable to evaluate patient's ability to pay and collect monies
due to the hospital
Collector, Self-Pay Specialist Level I includes but is not
limited to the following:
- Assists patients with billing inquiries and insurance questions
communicate findings in a professional manner.
- Contacts patients/guarantors to secure payment for services
- Documents all calls and actions taken in the appropriate
systems. Sets next work date if follow-up is needed.
- Confirms/updates with patient/guarantor insurance and patient
- Makes appropriate changes and submits/re-submits claims as
- Informs patients/guarantors of opportunities for financial
assistance, including Medi-Cal/MSN and other available governmental
or private programs.
- Accurately code insurance plan codes, update current payer
being billed and request an 837 as appropriate.
- Is familiar with the financial assistance program to provide
patient/guarantor assistance with completion when appropriate.
- Establishes a payment arrangement when patients are unable to
pay in full, at time of payment is due This may include installment
plans and patient settlements, in accordance with Hoag
- Patient complaints/disputes are documented and forwarded to the
- Responsible for following all collection policies and
- Meets quality assurance and productivity standards.
- Returns all voice mail messages/emails on the same day
- Generates itemized bills as needed to any customer, internal or
- Assists with distribution, review, and work of incoming faxes,
amended orders and other inquiries received via fax or other
assignments during zero calls in queue.
- Takes part in all training about third-party requirements.
- Participates actively in any training opportunities to enhance
knowledge to help Hoag patients.
- Accurately sets up payment plans, updates to the accounts or
other necessary updates inaccurately in all applicable
- Ability to review and identify applicable cash rates, special
rates, applicable professional and employee discounts based on
policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and is able to process bankruptcy and
deceased patient accounts.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education, Training and Experience
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Understanding of hospital reimbursement methodologies,
including DRGs, APCs, and standard payment methodology.
- Strong customer relation skills.
- Ability to communicate well both verbally and in written
- Ability to interact with all levels (patients, hospital staff,
Skills or Other Qualifications
- Expert knowledge of self-pay collection techniques.
- Working knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, and all other
third-party payment methods.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and telephone etiquette.
- Problem-solving skills essential.
- Insurance knowledge and communication with payers.
- Ability to think independently and use good judgment for
situations which require initiative and innovation.
- Computer literacy, including proficiency in Word and Excel,
some knowledge of Access (preferred).
- Knowledge of basic office equipment.
- Ability to establish work priorities and prioritize needs to
meet required timelines.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- 10 Key by touch and ability to type 40 WPM.
- Basic math calculation skills
- Bilingual English and Spanish
Keywords: Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Costa Mesa , Collector Self Pay I - Business Service-Managed Care (Costa Mesa, CA, US), Other , Costa Mesa, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!